Some of the least expensive home improvements will spruce up your home, give it a new look or feel, make it appear more spacious our cozy depending upon what look you are going after. Home improvements that require some investment but add interest or value to your home may include cabinetry, spiral stairs, flooring, wall treatments, or landscaping.
If money is tight, you can make changes to your home that simply do not cost a lot of money. Some suggestions include:
- Rearrange furniture, drapes, and rugs: Thoughtful arrangements include diagonal arrangements of furniture, rugs – or both – that can create a unique focal point in any room. Try pulling your drapes to the side, or using just one gathered in the middle with a tieback.
- Plants: Greenery can make a huge difference in the appearance of a room! Pull back those drapes; fill a vacant space with different-size plants in pots at different heights. Stack a few on a table or bench behind a sofa that is flat against a wall.
- Lamp Shades: There are tons of great lampshades to choose from – this is a great way to add color, style, and ambiance that you can change with the seasons if you like!
- Hit those garage sales! Need we say more? This is a homeowners dream come true when it comes to redecorating on a budget.
If you have a fixer-upper or a ‘cozy’ abode where space and budget is at a premium, or a fixer-upper so needy that you just don’t know where to start, begin with changes that are both visually stimulating and practical. Affordable updates that make your home appear more elegant, spacious and livable can be money in the bank. Some ideas include:
- Spiral Stairs: Few home improvements make as dramatic a statement – on as reasonable a budget – as spiral stairs can. Perfect for basements, lofts, and small living spaces of all types. Believe it or not, this is an economical, do-it-yourself project.
- New Cabinet Hardware: Old hardware can date even the most traditional cabinetry. Check with your local furniture refinisher and see if he has anything you might be interested in.
- Bathtub Liners: These are available in all price ranges – be sure to do your homework and get the best price before you make a decision. Often it’s cheaper and easier to have a professional do this one.
With some creativity and careful budgeting, you can explore interior design options and affordable home improvement upgrades that will give your home a much-needed facelift – whether it’s a gallon of fresh paint or graceful econo spiral stairs to open up your unused space!